I get asked about my favorite skincare products all the time, and I’m always a little hesitant to make recommendations because 1) I’m not a skincare expert and 2) what works for me may not work for you. I also don’t have a routine that can be pinned down – I switch things up as I see fit, experiment with new products all the time, and use a lot of home remedies (egg white mask, homemade exfoliants, etc). I have a pretty strong allegiance to Mario Badescu products because they work for my skin and have a pretty nice price point. I also happen to get my facials there regularly, so it gives me the opportunity to try samples and find new products to bring into rotation. Here, I highlighted a handful of my current favorites. You can see more of my favorite skincare products on my Westfield Style “New Year, New Skin” post, including a bargain buy that I’ve been using for years.
1) Mario Badescu Whitening Mask – being a pale girl, every little scar or blotchy spot is amplified. This helps even out my skin tone. It’s not a miracle worker – so don’t expect it to completely erase acne scars – but in conjunction with the Vitamin C serum, it makes a big difference for me.
2) Kate Somerville ExfoliKate – I love the way this feels; it’s tingly and not too abrasive. I feel like I have new skin, after using this. Ask for a sample before committing, because it’s by no means cheap. They also have the gentle version but this one is my favorite.
3) Mario Badescu Cucumber Cleansing Lotion – I use this after every cleanse, morning and night. This gets what the cleanser leaves behind. If I don’t use a toner, I don’t feel clean.
4) Mario Badescu Vitamin C Serum – This, in conjunction with the whitening mask, keeps my skin tone even and glowing. I also get the Vitamin C mask treatment whenever I get my facials and I absolutely swear by it. If you find yourself at Mario Badescu, add it on to your facial!
5) Yes To Grapefruit Brightening Facial Towelettes – I never go to bed with makeup on, ever. Even if I’m in the car on a road trip, I make sure to have some of these towelettes on hand. I don’t use them daily, but they’re great for travel.
6) Cane + Austin Retexturizing Treatment Pads – when my skin feels a little rough (literally), I turn to these to help the texture get back to normal.
7) eos Sweet Mint Lip Balm – Since I wear a lot of matte lipsticks, I am a fanatic about keeping my lips soft and hydrated. I go back and forth between this and Burt’s Bees (and good old Aquaphor). I also exfoliate regularly with a little bit of sugar and honey.
Admittedly, I have an arsenal of masks and treatments that I use that aren’t on this list – anti-aging for days, my friends. If you saw everything I have in my cabinet, you would think I was crazy. But for the most part, I’m pretty happy with my skin – so I just go with what works for me. I say “for the most part” because I do feel like my skin needs a little something extra; NYC climate can be a little rough on my skin. One thing I’ve been wanting to try out is Biologique Recherche P50, which was recommended to me by Helena and has rave reviews. Have you tried it? I’d love to hear your thoughts!