Though I have my mainstays (don’t we all?), I’m constantly trying out new products that come my way or catch my eye while perusing the beauty aisle. I can’t walk into Sephora, Ulta, Target, Nordstrom, or basically the internet without buying some product that I never intended to purchase. There are always hits and misses, but some stand out above the rest. Here are my 5 favorite beauty products of this month, clockwise, from the top:
- Plaque HD Plaque-Identifying Toothpaste: I can’t believe I’m actually highlighting a toothpaste in my current favorite beauty products, but I can confidently say that this changed the way I brush. Here’s how it works: brush as you normally do, spit (don’t rinse), and then look in the mirror — any plaque build up is highlighted in bright green. Brush the green away and rinse! Since I wear Invisalign retainers at night, I want to make sure I’m keeping my teeth super clean (and not trapping anything in there). It reminds me of the plaque “candy” that the dental hygienist gave me, when I was a kid, which turned my plaque pink, to show where I needed to brush a little better. Except, this toothpaste is minty and doesn’t taste like literal chalk. Candy? Yeah, right. P.S. It also comes in bubblegum, which would be great for kids. You can also buy it through Amazon Prime!
- Melt Cosmetics “Love Sick” eyeshadow stack: I’m a huge fan of Melt’s lipsticks (matte and super bold), but for some reason, just got around to trying their eyeshadows, which are so buttery and beautifully pigmented. Their “Amelie” shade, a peachy gold, is absolutely gorgeous – and I love to pair it with burgundy “Love Sick” for extra depth. I can’t wait to try their brand new “Radioactive” stack.
- Kat Von D Everlasting Love Liquid Lipsticks: These are not new to me; I’ve been buying them since they first came out, when they were a different formula and in different/smaller packaging. A little over a year ago, they reformulated (and had some trial and error with their popular “Lolita” shade), and though some people disagree, I love the current formula. It’s a little thicker and not as dry, and I haven’t had any issues with separation (I did, with the old ones). There’s a slight tacky finish to it that I don’t mind and actually prefer to my lips being bone dry…I hate feeling like I have nail polish on my lips. Between the formula and the myriad shades available, this has become my favorite liquid lipstick. I have lots of shades, but I’m currently obsessed with “Lolita II”(and the original, even if all THREE that I have are completely different colors), “Double Dare,” and “Mother.” “Lolita II” and “Double Dare” look really similar in the tube, but the former is warmer (described as “Terra Cotta Nude”) and the latter has more pink. P.S. You can see both the Melt Cosmetics “Love Sick” eyeshadow stack and Kat Von D Everlasting Love Liquid Lipstick in “Mother” in action in my last post.
- First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum: I’ve discussed my normal skincare routine, which I consider a base, but I need to do an update to include serums and treatments. This is one of my go-tos for when I need extra hydration, and the price is good (in comparison to some other skin products I use, anyway). I use this at night, before my moisturizer and any oil (love an oil), and I wake up with soft and supple (I hate that word) skin. It says to use one pump, but I’m a little more generous with it. Though I tend to only use it at night, the glycerin — which is great for dry skin — makes it act as a nice primer for your makeup, during the day.
- Battington Lashes: I love these lashes. They’re 100% silk and lightweight, and the packaging is gorgeous (I’m a sucker for that) and useful for storing them. They have a much more natural look than synthetic options, and feel less heavy/foreign on my lids. The 3D lashes are my favorite, which are layered for a more natural, feathery effect.