Makeup

Oh Sugar, Where’ve You Been?

It’s no secret that recently, I’ve been a 25-year old walking clichΓ©, moping around in quarter life crisis-mode and generally making a fool of myself. I’m going to do my best to keep more of my personal life out of this particular blog; sometimes I forget that more than just my friends are keeping tabs on this. I have a difficult time feeling creative or apt to blog about fashion when I’m going through a rough time. I apologize, profusely. Back to the pictures!

I just got back from New York (the other day) and felt like lifting my spirits a little. What did I do? Well, I did my makeup and partook in a self-indulgent, extremely vain photo session. Did it work? A little. A bit (or a lot) of eye makeup and fake lashes can do wonders for the self esteem.

Makeup Details:
MAC Bare Canvas all over lids and blended above crease
MAC Say, Yeah all over lids
Bobbi Brown smokey eyeshadow in crease and outer v
Revlon lashes
stiletto lash mascara
MAC blacktrack fluidline
Julie Hewett Cheekie cheek and lip shine in Bette on lips
brow pencil
Smashbox photofinish primer all over face
MAC mineralize skinfinish natural in Light
MAC mineralize skinfinish in Petticoat (cheeks)

Love love,

p.s. If you like this look and want to learn how to recreate it, stay tuned for the tutorial, which will be available on Emerging Thoughts (as soon as I finish it).

1. petrina says:

I love love love the lip colour!!

2. E says:

Jeez girl, you're beautiful..

3. camille says:

nice makeup! i tried to recreate it…. buuut i need more practice.

4. amy lapi says:

wow! you're beautiful. πŸ™‚

5. Katie says:

thanks for the make-up tips and tutorial!!!!!!!!!! x

6. Mascara or Motoroil says:

You are just so gorgeous. And you have suuuuuch an amazing gift at makeup! No matter if I follow a million tutes, mine never looks this good.

7. Molly says:

omgosh…love the eye make up. also, I am oh so jealous of your bangs. they are, dare I say, "bangin"

8. TheStrawberryFields says:

ohhhh i love MAC makeup it always gives a flawless finish,you look lovely.

9. Alice says:

You makeup is really inspirational!

I think many bloggers walk that think line between keepeing and revealing too much. Nothing wrong with a bit of personal information, we all go through phases!

10. MamieGirls says:

looking beautiful young lady! hope you had so much fun in NYC!

11. Christina says:

Hi Keiko,

First off I love your makeup, the eyes especially, they are gorgeous.

Second I love that you post the personal things about yourself on the blog it makes you a real person with real problems. I don't think I commented on you other post where you went into the quarter life crisis that you are having, but you posting that really helped me because it showed me that I wasn't the only one feeling that way. I often don't talk about my feelings and I thought it was really brave that you put yourself out there and told us what going on in your life. So dont apologize for being personal on your blog.

xoxo, Tina

12. kate says:

wow, she is beautiful

13. Trains and Sewing Machines says:

I was looking at these pictures and wondering if there would be a tutorial for your eye makeup, it looks AMAZING and I really don't know how to do it like that and then I see that you're doing one πŸ™‚ I'm excited for it!

14. Samantha Jane says:

You look so beautiful here and photograph extremely well!! πŸ™‚

15. catherine_sr. says:

I love your personal posts! You write so beautifully, they are more illuminating than whinge-y. But I can also understand the need to keep personal things off a blog with a larger readership.
    You look beautiful in these pics! You are right about the false eyelashes — I wore them for Halloween and adored the way I looked (even though the cheap pair I got were driving me crazy all night).
    the renegade bean

16. Simone says:

hi keiko,

i know exactly how you feel. i'm at a dead end job trying to find another, just turned 25 and moping around looking for something to fill the void.

i find your writing to be sensational. you do put up a lot of fashion and style which is great, but i think writing about your feelings and what you're going through like a normal journal really humanizes you. it makes you less of a "fashion blogger" and more of a real person.

great to see you back in the tri-state area!

17. Lucile says:

Wow, you look beautiful on these pictures ! Great photo session !
    I think it's normal that you share your feelings through your blog : writting had always been a therapy.
    I follow you since your LJ and that's what I like about you : you are a real girl. Certainly you've got a higher fashion sense than normal people, and maybe some of the most beautiful features I ever seen, but you seem accessible and that's what I like about you and about your blog.
    I hope you feel better today :).

18. Christina Visconti says:

Gahhh, you are so gorgeous. Being vain is okay, especially if it cheers you up.

19. The Sound of Lace says:

i think you should write what you feel the need to write about…if that means problems or issues that are on your mind..make them known. not only is it therapeutic to you it REALLY is therapeutic to others. when i read the part where you said you were going through a quarter life crisis..i first laughed (because ive never heard that term before) i second..sighed because 2009 was pretty much the WORST year of my life…. im looking at 2010 with an optimistic view. and knowing that others have had a hard time as well makes me realize how far from alone i really am.
    and those self indulgent vain photo sessions…theyve helped me though many a cry sessions!! keep up the smiles…we enjoy them!

thesoundoflace.blogspot.com
    thesoundoflace.blogspot.com
    thesoundoflace.blogspot.com
    thesoundoflace.blogspot.com
    thesoundoflace.blogspot.com

20. Pearl says:

I love your lip color!!!

I don't know where to get that Julie Hewett Cheekie cheek and lip shine in Bette on lips here in the philippines but do you know other similar counterparts from other brands with the same shade?

I'm in love with it. Mostly because I think that shade would look good on me. πŸ™‚

21. Kiva, Keva? says:

Keiko Lynn, I started a blog because I think your so cool. You definately insprired me. Your fashion rules harder than vogues. I think your the coolest.

22. alison says:

Beautiful makeup – you look so pretty! And I don't mind the personal stuff at all. It's nice to know the person behind the blog a little better.

23. frenchkitty says:

I was just gonna ask if you would do a tutorial then I scrolled down and see that you are! Yay!! Love the pics! Gorgeous!

24. Swedish Chef says:

I dont get your style but you seem sympatico. But then again iΒ΄m a european soccer hooligan. Did anyone mention Natasha Kahn in the Bat Your Lashes comments? Cricket isnt what it used to be…

25. nora says:

you are so beautiful!

i "discovered" your blog just a few days ago – well, i always had it in my bookmarks, but i keep up saving urls in there and forget about them…:D
    just wanted to say that you have a wonderful blog! (and i won't forget about it a 2nd time, cause i added it to my bloglist :D)

26. P3ixinho says:

I've been following you from the other side of the ocean and the message I bring you is: I'm coming out of a crisis, I know I am and it feels good!

Please don't forget to warn us followers about this tutorial and… do you have any TIPS for girls who have green eyes hidden behind GLASSES (like me!).

27. jennyjen says:

Oh my goodness, you are GORGEOUS! πŸ™‚

28. Soooali says:

Awh I hope things work out for you. These photos are beautiful!

29. megannielsen says:

I hope you start feeling better soon πŸ™‚ I really understand though. I recently turned 25 too and I know what you mean about the quarter life crisis… I felt like I was having a minor breakdown for a few weeks. Hang in there, and as always you look gorgeous!

30. Suz says:

beautiful!

31. Haferflocken says:

you look really beautiful

I really love the personal side of your blog. It feels good to know Im not the only one stumble sometimes.

32. Gina SG says:

Super bonita πŸ™‚

33. Ann Marie McGrath says:

You look beautiful in these pictures. Your eyes are stunning and I love the way you styled your hair. Did you take these pictures yourself, or did you have them professionally taken? The resolution on them is so good.

34. DearBeatrice... says:

Sorry to hear you are going through a rough time… these pictures are beautiful! I love the lipstick color you used πŸ™‚

35. martis says:

Okay, i'm gonna simplify my comment:
    – ur lips – "PERFECTION"
    – ur eyes – "MYSTERIOUS"
    – ur brows – "WONDERFUL"
    – ur skin – "UNBELIEVABLE"

U R FABULOUS… gotta switch off the CapsLock.. πŸ˜€

36. Diana says:

You look gorgeous! I'm glad you're spirits are feeling up.

37. Fabulocity in Amish Country says:

This looks absolutely amazing!! 25 is definitely not old… and you look amazing regardless!! πŸ™‚

38. junebabie says:

you're so great with makeup! I'll definitely check out that tutorial so I can learn to do that with my eye shadow.

39. anarolka says:

I want to say that you don't have to worry about boring us or bothering us with your lamentations. This is your blog and should be a reflection of you.

40. Rosie says:

Gosh lady, you're beautiful!

41. Diane says:

your eye makeup looks amazing!!!

42. Sharon says:

I'm already looking forward to that tutorial! :3 I really have some kind of problems with doing a nice eye makeup.

And you're definitely not making a fool of yourself! You're just plain honest and that's what I like about your blog. It's not only about looking good, wearing cute clothes, etc. I really appreciate you sharing your life besides these things with us.
    I hope you're feeling better soon!

PS: Love these pictures ^.^

43. misselty says:

Gorgeous! I especially love that first one!
    Hope you're feeling better! =)

44. georgeface says:

You look amazing. I certainly hope it did perk you up, because if it didn't you really haven't got a chance.

Oh how I wish I could put false lashes on myself. Alas I must always deal with natural lashes πŸ™

45. Rachel says:

i don't blog but have followed you for ages and buy your clothes quite frequently so i figured i would leave a comment: please feel free to share a bit about your quarter-life crisis!

i'm currently going through one and it's terrible. i've been questioning everything (absolutely everything: god, humanity, myself) and coming to these ridiculous late night conclusions about what is worthwhile in life (recently it's been "comedy and space travel"… it made sense at 3 am). so you're not alone in that. although, when someone informed me of that in an effort to comfort me it only made me concerned that i have never once had a truly original thought in my life. i'm quite a optimistic, wide-eyed young gal so anxiety over these things has been brand new to me.

46. Une Belle Fille says:

Utterly gorgeous. I'll be looking out for your tutorial!

And I agree – there's nothing like a little pampering and prettiness to make one feel better.

x

47. Carmen says:

Such beautiful photos.

Carmen.xx.

48. Jessica Eubanks says:

Keiko, please don't apologize for sharing your life with us! I love that you do, because not only are you gorgeous and fashionable, but you are a real girl just like us. I think you're wonderful! And i'm sorry you're going through a tough time. Sometimes, writing it down is definitely the best medicine! Also, I think your eyeshadow looks amazing here, some of the prettiest pictures I've seen of you πŸ™‚

49. C says:

Even though I first started following your blog for your outfits and pictures, I've continued to enjoy it because of how open and self-deprecatingly honest you are. In any case, your makeup is great– intense and dramatic without being overpowering.

50. Catherine says:

oo oo i found the most amazing red lipstick the other day! its a Revlon Matte Lipstick in "really red" and its goooorgeous and lasts amazingly xx

51. Mo says:

so pretty ! i do that too sometimes, but i m not that good at doing make up, i should check the tutorial !

52. Kai says:

you are just so, so beautiful! glad that you're feeling a bit more upbeat πŸ™‚

53. daughteroftheRiver says:

I just found your blog, and your style is impeccable! I really love it. I have issues with doing eye makeup, so I am looking forward to your tutorial!

Keep your head up and listen to Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" It always makes me feel better =)

54. Angela says:

Okay, I have ask something unrelated: How do you get your bangs to hold to the side like that? LOVE how they look in these photos, and the texture/density/weight seems similar to mine. Is it just blowdrying? Or any particular products? Hate to be the stranger asking for a response, but I would kill for some styling tips :X

55. Jenna says:

Gorgeous as per usual! And please,keep the make-up posts coming!

56. Latoya says:

I love your pictures! You are gorgeous. I like how your makeup compliments your features.

(Having a quarter life crisis is normal…you'll come out of with a better understanding of yourself and a great understanding of everything around you. )

57. β™₯Lola says:

Gorgeous makeup! Good to hear it cheered you up πŸ™‚

58. Allison says:

Well, you look beautiful, as always! πŸ˜€ I hope you feel better.. I know some weeks always get me down.

59. Ollie Otson says:

I always love your makeup! So glad you're doing a tutorial.

Hope everything looks up for you. This month has been tough on all of us, I think.

60. Charmalade says:

So good to see you back in action, Keiko! A little self-indulgent photo shoot makes one feel a little silly, but it's also a lot of fun, isn't it?

Love the blue/green smokey eye. πŸ™‚ Feel better *hug*