Outfits

Shake Your Little Shoulders

Tomorrow is my birthday and I’m freaking out! I know it’s ridiculous, and I can feel all of your eyes rolling right now…but I thought I would be a real adult by now, and I feel so behind. You know, the kind who can just run out and buy a new camera when hers is broken (see the darkness on the side? the shutter gets worse and worse). I know I’m on the right track and I’m working so hard to get ahead, but my goodness. Sometimes I just feel like I’m still a teenager – only with lots and lots of bills.

Twenty-six. Yikes. I keep telling everyone who takes my picture that I am 25, thankyouverymuch, because until 7 AM tomorrow, I am. I know I’m ridiculous. Everyone keeps telling me that your thirties are the best years. In your twenties, it’s a weird limbo between being a child and a full-fledged adult.

Anyway, enough of that jibber-jabber. These photos were taken before the ModCloth party and Robert Geller show. I was bummed that they overlapped, because I missed a lot of people at both the party and the show, since I was in such a rush. Speaking of being in a rush, I have to leave in a few minutes. Pictures from ModCloth and Geller and everything else, later! In the meantime, if anyone has a spare digital SLR just hanging around and gathering dust, I will gladly take it off your hands…and pay you in pictures of Miku’s precious face. It’s a fair trade!

trench dress (so comfy): courtesy of Queen’s Wardrobe
vintage bustier
twenty8twelve skirt: via Gilt (I’m obsessed with this site)
Felicita heels: courtesy of Nine West
tights: Target
belt: thrifted
Madison Brynne bag: courtesy of Coach

Love Love,

1. Glamourlegen says:

My Day of Dread came when I departed from being 28, which, to date, was the best year ever. 22, nah, too young, 25, nah, too in-between, 26, ok-ish, 27, looking up! And then the big Three Ooooooh hit me, and I experienced a big crisis (IΒ΄m now 30 and a half plus some). Word of advice: thirties are the new twenties, and if my boo (33) and friends are anything to go by (when it comes to dinners, concerts, clubbing, fashion etc. theyΒ΄re all out there even though they have babies and toddlers and are all doting yummy mummies and daddies); it looks like IΒ΄m in for some thrilling years. So enjoy your years, all of them, and no matter what comes your way (mortgage, babies, work, blah blah), make the most of the one life you do have. You only live once, remember?

2. Danielle says:

I have a feeling I might be like that too when I get older!

3. chellemorgan says:

Happy birthday!! What a beautiful trench dress – I love the style and the colour is perfect. You look absolutely stunning, as always!

Xo Chelle
    discoveringelegance.com

4. hueys says:

Hello!

Happy birthday (:
    *sings birthday song*
    Hope you had a wonderful celebration!

and you look awesome in the trenchdress and boots!

5. theloudmouth says:

it's hard to believe that you feel behind at 25 (or 26, now). you have accomplished so much! i mean, look at you — a successful blogger and fashion designer with so many friends and a beautiful wardrobe. i hope i can say i have that much at 26. anyway, your hair looks lovely down (for once)!

6. agnes says:

tu est magnifique….

7. Laura says:

You look so pretty i absolutely adore that trench dress it looks amazing on you =) And Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Dana says:

Happy Birthday, belated as it may be! I turn 26 tomorrow so…I feel your pain.

9. erin d. says:

Let me tell you, 28 SUCKS. I'm barely a month into it and I've already found 3 gray hairs (my first!) and I need glasses. I'm also getting unsolicited advice about skin care and creams that work for wrinkles. ughh!

Anyway.. 26 isn't so bad. I liked 26. When I was 26 I didn't wear glasses and there wasn't a gray in sight. I miss 26.

10. Bad Taste Toast says:

Happy Birthday!!!
    I know what you mean! I'm 24 and feel so much younger πŸ˜€ Still studying and still trying to make a living somehow :-/

But maybe the others are right with saying the thirties will be awesome?!

I hope you have/had a lovely birthday!

11. Hatchipu says:

hello keiko, this is the second time I visit your blog. I have to say that you ve got a realy realy great blog =) I will keep visiting you every day..
    great work..

greetings from germany from a turkish girl =)

12. Graceful Elements says:

It is nice to see you with your hair down. And Happy Birthday!

13. Alice says:

you look so pretty πŸ™‚

14. Anonymous says:

you look great once again..
    and as a 31-year-old let me tell you:
    it gets better every year πŸ˜‰
    xx m

15. Claudette says:

Happy birthday Keiko! I'm a huge fan of your blog and don't worry! You're not old till you stop having fun & I hope that that doesn't happen to you.. ever!

Love from LA,
    Claudette

16. KT says:

My birthday is the 16th and I totally know how you feel. I still think I am a teenager, well until I remember the student loans and credit card bill. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great one! Love the purple color of this jacket. – Katy

17. Julie says:

Dude! Happy birthday!

I totally get what you're saying. I'm turning 27 in just a couple weeks, and for some reason this is the first birthday that I've really felt gross about. I'm having many of the same feelings you described, "I haven't done all the stuff I thought I would have by now", "I don't know what I'm doing with my life", etc etc. It's comforting to know that someone else is feeling the same way.

18. Brigid says:

Happy birthday! I turned 26 five days ago and had the same feelings. I have faith that it'll all get better from here, though.

19. kim says:

omg, i know exactly what you mean about turning 26. my birthday is in december and i'm dreading it! i don't know what it is about our age group that makes us feel this way. to quote another poster, the "transitional twenties" are rough….i still feel like a little girl pretending to be an adult.

anyways, i'm loving the trench dress and especially how you combined it w/ the teal belt and green skirt. tres chic!

20. mariska says:

wow, ur trench dress is so pretty..
    πŸ˜‰

xoxo

21. Venn says:

hpiyyy bdayy!! :))
    have a great onee!!

great outfit,, i love the trench dress :))

xoxo

22. Venn says:

hpiyyy bdayy!! :))
    have a great onee!!

great outfit,, i love the trench dress :))

xoxo

23. Maja Piraja says:

Happy birthday Keiko-Lynn, from a long-time lurker πŸ™‚ Sounds like you're hitting the mid-life crises, I'm right there with you. I'm turning 25 in a month and I thought I'd be a proper grown-up by now – HAH! That so didn't happen.

24. Bite The Beat says:

I just had a birthday in August, and I have to keep reminding myself that I'm a year older when asked my age. I feel like I'm going through a quarter-life crisis, and I don't know how to be a "grown-up". One of these days it'll come to me, I hope.

Anyway, enough of that– Happy early birthday!

25. kelly ann says:

i love every bit of this outfit – you look lovely!

oh man, i feel like a teenager still, too! trying to catch up and keep up with everyone else. SHEESH. it's exhausting. πŸ˜‰ i think a part of me will always feel really young, though. happy birthday, keiko! <3

26. elena says:

Happy Birthday! Who isn't obsessed with Gilt?! Lol! πŸ˜‰ Hope you have an awesome day! πŸ™‚

27. Meghan says:

I know how you feel, I'm approaching 27 and do NOT like my progress so far.

I hope our 30's will be better! Or at least become more balanced and wiser.

28. SMASH says:

Happy early birthday, Virgos unite! (mine is on the 22nd!)

xx
    MILK TEETHS

29. hannaballs says:

happy early birthday! I just started following your blog and although I don't know you, I'd like you to know that you make brooklyn a little more sunnier. Thanks! And keep being you!

30. Ena says:

Love this outfit! The shoes are stunning. Also I saw you in Elle Girl (Japan). You looked great!

*Ena*

31. Beautifully Pure says:

Lovely pictures! I hope you can get a new camera soon! Though, if it makes you feel better, I didn't even notice the dark space on the side till I read the post. πŸ™‚

~ Katie

32. Livia says:

Your clothes are amazing! I love the first picture!

33. Bianca says:

Good luck with the camera sitch! Can't wait to see pics from the fashion parties!

34. Darcy says:

I hope you have such a happy birthday!

35. Thao says:

Happy birthday, sweet girl! I'm 25, and I know just how you feel–I don't think I'm anywhere NEAR where I want to be. But as my fortune cookie so wisely said: Success is a journey, not a destination. Hope you have a beautiful day!

36. Jade Sheldon says:

I know EXACTLY how you feel my dear. Just know that you will probably never have that moment where you feel like a complete grownup that has everything handled: it just doesn't happen! I feel like it's especially true for creative and liberal people (such as ourselves).

You are still young and vibrant and have accomplished so much in your short time here on this earth.

Allow yourself to be proud and give yourself a break tomorrow!

Happiest of birthdays to you!

β™₯ Jade

37. Joy Botwin says:

Happy Birthday! πŸ™‚ You look like you are ready for fall.

38. Melanie says:

Aww, so sad for your SLR πŸ™ You look great, though. Sounds like a fun weekend, albeit a bit busy. Anyway, happy birthday!

Melanie@UnravelledThreads

39. Yourz Truly Jess says:

love the outfit the bag especially! you have such amazing hair wish mines was like yours πŸ˜‰

yourztrulyjess.blogspot.com

40. Krameymartin says:

Your hair looks so pretty! Love it!

41. Jen says:

Bills don't mean you haven't grown up! I'm 24 and know plenty of people who still owe. I'm still paying things off myself!

You look lovely with your hair this way πŸ™‚

42. libys11 says:

that coat is so perfect for fall!!! πŸ˜€ and i really love your hair done that way! πŸ˜€

Animated Confessions

43. Ana says:

Happy early birthday! I hope you'll enjoy a lovely day tomorrow. As for the outfit, it's just as pretty as all your other outfits. I really like the trench dress, it seems like a very versatile piece.

44. Melanie says:

Happy Birthday!
    Don't feel bad. I'm 36 and still feel like I'm not quite an adult yet. πŸ™‚

45. Sara says:

Happy birthday! πŸ™‚
    The coat looks great on you and I love your hair that way!

46. Chickems says:

Keiko trust me you are doing just fine. Im 18, im starting out with nothing to be a fashion designer. You are KEIKO LYNN. You actually sell your clothing on the your own site. You are certainly well known. You have all these connections in the fashion industry to some point. Trust me thats a hell of a lot, so far so good.

47. Ginta says:

Don't freak out! πŸ™‚ Your best years just start! Believe me – it just gets better and better! Oh, sweet 26 πŸ™‚

Happy birthday!

48. Simply Style by veronika says:

Loads of birthday wishes …and your outfit, as always is so chic! And the shoes -the shoes I am in love with them. xx v

49. Luinae says:

Happy early birthday! Love the shape of the belted top layer and the shoes.

50. Nadine2point0 says:

I still feel like I'm 23…and yet it's my last year in my 30's. Yikes is right.
    Love the navy and turquoise. It's a great combo.
    Have a super Bday πŸ™‚

51. Mel says:

Dear Keiko,

happy early birthday und alles Liebe zum Geburtstag, as we say in Germany πŸ˜‰

Your hair is really long grown and I love it. Will you cut it off in the near future or will you grow it even longer?

xo, Mel

52. Archives says:

i wish i had an extra camera to send you, dear! πŸ™‚

your hair looks great down, btw!

53. Morellocherry says:

i know exactly how you feel, i turned 26 on the 4th, i feel really weird about it lol.

54. Sarah says:

Happy birthday πŸ™‚

I'd say you're quite an adult – you've followed your dreams and done more so far than many people in their 60s could ever dream of. Having extra cash lying around does not make thee an adult. Though who really wants to be all growd up anyway πŸ˜‰

55. Niki says:

Looking lovely, despite the misbehaving camera, as ever.

I'm 26 in a few months. In the last couple years, I've learned to like olives and wear high heels. In the last few weeks, I bought a laptop, a sofa, made two customer complaints and got my own flat.

I fear I've entered adulthood and it's not a comfortable place to be. No eye-rolling here! Just absolute, pure empathy!

And a bit of jealousy about all the NYC fun you're having this week xx

56. Ashley says:

Happy *early* Birthday! My birthday is on Friday! Yay for Virgos! πŸ˜‰
    I love those heels! And your hair is beautiful. =)

57. Kirsty says:

Happy early birthday! I know exactly how you feel. I just turned 25 on Sunday (12th) and I was a tad depressed. I'm still telling people I'm 24, 25 just doesn't sound right just quite yet.

Kirsty xo

58. Jasmin says:

this outfit is so lovely <3

59. megannielsen says:

Honey I totally understand! I turn 26 in November, and until then I am 25 thank you for very much. I feel so silly about it, but the thought of being on the other side of 25 is so scary to me! It feels like the wrong side of 25… the side much much closer to 30. shudder.
    Anyway, happy birthday for tomorrow! I really hope you enjoy it !
    (as a side note, I love how long your hair is getting!)

60. Dip-tea says:

You look stunning! Love the whole ensemble, the belted trench dress is gorgeous!! Many many happy returns of the day in advance dear!

61. Iris says:

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day tomorrow πŸ™‚

I'm not a fan of these transitional twenties (as I call them) but, hopefully all the hard work will pay off for everyone!

Lastly, those shoes are fantastic!

62. eleanor says:

My sisters birthday is today (september 15th, I'm in New Zealand) too!
    This outfit is lovely, and your hair looks so gorgeous!

X

63. Liz says:

Stunning as always, K.

64. Christina says:

I love the bustier top. I just turned 25 but I am happy to hear that it gets better in your 30s because I definitely feel in limbo. My camera completely broke, not even usable. So I had to charge one. I totally should not be charging things right now though so..yeah…oh well

65. And Kathleen says:

Happy (early) birthday to you, Keiko. 26 was a really good year for me and it really only does seem to get better.

P.S. Two of my closest girlfriends also have September 15 birthdays!