(My mom didn’t approve of the photos I chose and insisted I use this one, instead. I think she looks great in all of them!)
I teamed up with Ulta to create a Mother’s Day gift guide, and while I was shopping at the store, I had an epiphany: why not let my mom write her own Mother’s Day gift guide, too? After all, who better to give Mother’s Day gift advice than an actual mom! My mom has raised a whole lotta girls (5, including my stepsister), and despite working several jobs to care for us (for many years as a single mother), and being sleep deprived and under constant stress, she always looked like a total babe. Now, at 54 and a grandmother of 4, she still hasn’t slowed down…and is still a babe. And maybe I’m biased, but I think she has some great tips to share. Check out Barbie’s top ten picks for Mother’s Day gifts, and then see a few of my picks for mom, below!
- Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Eau de Toilette: “For the past 36 years, I’ve been wearing the same perfume – give or take a day, here and there. I decided to take a walk on the wild side and try something new. So glad I did!”
- Hempz Original Herbal Body Moisturizer: “This happens to be a favorite of mine. I love the way it smells and how it makes my skin feel. It definitely works for me.”
- DDF Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizer Moisturizing Serum: “Now that I’m in my 50s, I definitely need to use a product that minimizes both of these problems that come with age. Found it!”
- Philosophy Purity Made Simple One Step Facial Cleanser: “Being that I’m always on the go, I like to simplify in every way possible. Love this one step product. It leaves my skin feeling great!”
- Ulta Automatic Lip Liner: “As I’ve gotten older, lipsticks tend to bleed outside of my lips. This lip liner solves the problem.”
- Benefit Cosmetics Stay Don’t Stray Eye Shadow Primer: “Hot flashes made it nearly impossible to keep my shadow on. Now, using this primer keeps my shadow fresh all day.”
- Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner: “This one really stays on. It lasts all day without me having to check constantly for smudges.”
- Drybar Buttercup Blow Dryer: “Ever since discovering this higher-powered blow dryer, I haven’t been to be able to go back to anything else. Not only does it make my hair look fantastic, but it dries my hair so much faster and saves me so much time – and I’m always running late!”
- Too Faced Born This Way Foundation: “It’s only been in the past few years that I’ve started wearing foundation. In the past, I always found it to be heavy – then I discovered this one and absolutely love it!”
- Rimmel London Lash Accelerator Mascara: “I found this product thanks to Good Morning America’s recommendation, and it really does work!”
- Too Faced La Matte Color Drenched Matte Lipstick: I love the formula of this matte lipstick. If you’re familiar with their La Creme lipsticks, it’s very similar…only matte. I picked “Bachelorette” — a watermelon pink — because it’s a beautiful rosy hue that can be patted on for a more natural flush.
- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector: Becca is my go-to for glowing skin, and their liquid shimmering skin perfector is a universal must-have. A little goes a long way, so you can mix with your tinted moisturizer for an all over glow or dab a little on your cheekbones, under your brows, at your inner eyes, and on your cupid’s bow for fresh, highlighted skin.
- Lorac PRO Matte Palette: This matte shadow palette is butttttterrrryyyyy. It blends beautifully and has great pigmentation.
- Stila Correct and Perfect All-In-One Color Correcting Palette: By targeting problem areas (dark circles, redness, blemishes, etc.), you can skip the heavy foundation and still have perfect looking skin. This is a one stop shop for concealing, brightening, correcting, and perfecting!
- Honest Beauty Magic Balm: This is a multi-purpose, hydrating balm that can be used wherever you need it. I love it for that sensitive area around the nose (it gets super irritated when it’s dry!), on and around my lips, on my cuticles, and even my elbows.
If your mum happens to be a teacher like mine, you could even buy her a grader for teachers, this will save her so much time when marking so she can get it done quickly! My mum loves it.
Want even more gift ideas? Click here for Ulta’s Mother’s Day gift guide!