Bobby and Keiko
Outfits, Style

How Bobby and I Fell In Love

Photos by Leo & Lau of Serendipity PhotoClub Monaco coat, vintage dress via Whurl, Strathberry MC Mini tote, red beret, heart sunglasses , old Banana Republic shoes.

Falling in love with your best friend can be both wonderful and complicated. It’s difficult to be casual when you’re already so close, and if it doesn’t work out, you risk losing your friendship. We already knew each other so well; he was already close with my family and I with his. We even lived together for a year, long before we were anything but friends. Though everyone assumes we loved each other romantically from the start, it really couldn’t be further from the truth. He was my friend and I didn’t look at him as anything but that for several years. We saw each other through other relationships and dates and ugly crying breakups. In the beginning, there was nothing there beyond platonic love. But at some point, something shifted. It felt very sudden and overwhelming, and we would quash the subject just as soon as it was broached.

Bobby and Keiko Bobby and Keiko

When I moved to New York, Bobby wrote a letter to me (remember those?) that said he was in love with me. I found and read it when I was unpacking the rest of my things, after my sisters drove away. I was admittedly slightly angry: that flushed cheeks, every inch of my face swelling with tears, I might drown if I start weeping kind of angry. The sad kind of angry, the homesick kind of angry, the “why did you do this now?” kind of angry. I only knew two people when I moved here — and one of them was a friend I met on the internet — and here was my best friend making me feel a whole new level of homesick and so confused. Moving here was one of the craziest things I ever did and completely out of character for someone like me who didn’t ever take risks. As a homebody with major social anxiety, it was a miracle that I went away to Orlando for college — less than 4 hours north! — let alone Brooklyn, away from everyone I loved.

I was so heartbroken and lonely the moment my sisters left, but I promised I would challenge myself and stay in New York for at least a year. It was a struggle to settle in at my new home from day one, and here was someone at my old home who was pulling me back. I should mention that Bobby wrote that letter to me with no intention of asking me to move back; he waited to give me the letter because he didn’t want me to stay. But even still, it would’ve been so easy to give in and go home to my soulmate, call it fate and say New York was never meant to be.  Every limb was reaching for home, for someone to hold onto — and I couldn’t tell if it was love or loneliness that made me feel that way. I needed time to think.

Bobby and Keiko Bobby and Keiko

Since that was almost eleven years ago, I can’t remember when or how we talked about it. I can’t remember when I realized I had those same feelings, too. All I do remember is resisting every step of the way — not because I didn’t return the feelings, but because it all felt too complicated. I would be all in and then immediately pull back. I was worried we wouldn’t work out and I would lose my best friend. I was worried we would work out and I would never be single again. I know that sounds crazy, but I was really enjoying being single and I had never really gotten to just date. I wondered what that would feel like. I didn’t feel ready to settle down with no end in sight. I knew I had feelings for him, but I didn’t know what I wanted to do with them. Whatever shifted on Bobby’s end took a little longer to hit me. I think back to that time and remember my grandpa always saying to Bobby, “Be patient. She’ll come around.” I never even told him that Bobby had feelings for me, but everyone knew and was rooting for him.

Bobby and Keiko Bobby and Keiko Bobby and Keiko

Six months after I moved to New York, Bobby followed me there. We kept on as friends for awhile, but it quickly progressed into a full blown relationship. It’s fairly impossible to casually date your best friend who lives with you, but I still went through this weird phase where I didn’t want to commit, even though I wasn’t dating or planning on dating anyone else. He was patient until I eventually I got over whatever imaginary roadblocks I had in my head.

Bobby and Keiko

We’ve never celebrated anniversaries because we don’t know the day we became official. We’ll have one when we get married, I guess. All I really remember from that day is talking to my mom on the phone, telling her how we were going to give it a shot. She said, “Time to sh** or get off the pot, huh?”

And that’s how our love story truly began: a toilet analogy from my eloquent mama. Bet you didn’t think my story would end that way, did you?

1. yuene says:

OMG Keiko your mum is hilarious! I love it!

Your love story is beautiful. Many more years of happiness to you and Bobby!

2. Kristina says:

This is such a sweet story. I have always loved seeing you two together, you can see the glow of your relationship in photos so well! It’s fun hearing the how!
    xo
    Kristina
    eyreeffect.com

3. Kirsten says:

I’m not crying, YOU’RE crying!

4. kirsten says:

What a good love story! 🙂 <3

5. Andrea Smith says:

I love how you tell your love story! You really can see how awesome you both make each other. Really a very beautiful post.

6. Alysa says:

No, Keiko, I certainly did not think that that was how your story would end lol but that’s ok. You are one of the coolest people I have even “not” known. I have been reading your blog for about 10 years now. Had no idea at the time that you and Bobby were such a recent couple as you two always seem so at ease with other. Old souls, I guess. And speaking of old, I am way, way older than your average reader, but I don’t care. You write so well, are funny, emotionally grounded and just so charming. I still would like to find what you and Bobby have; in fact, a mental picture of you two is in my “mental creation box” to help me manifest it :(( I know all your readers appreciate you as much as I do.

7. Laura says:

this is lovely! xx

8. Jamie says:

You are one of those couples I only wish the best and lots of happiness for!

9. Jade Rose says:

Love the ending. Love your love and the way you guys look at each other. It’s a breath of fresh air 🙂 ya cuties!!

10. Briel K. says:

Thank you for sharing your story! I love hearing about how people fall in love with each other and hope that one day it will happen to me.

11. Dani says:

Love this!! My hubby was my best friend before we started dating, too (I even tried to set him up with one of my friends before I realized I actually had feelings for him!)

Such a cute story! ♡♡♡

12. Kaleigh says:

Awww i love your post ( I love all your posts lol ) but this one I could definitely relate Bc I also recently fell for my best friend and it’s scary at first (I can be such a worry wart ) but it’s so rewarding .Patience is key ! Thank you for sharing this lovely story , you two are just the cutest .

13. Sarah says:

Your mama would get along with mine! Such a sweet story!

14. Mom says:

I’ve always had a way with words ? tub tub ❤️

• Bobby says:

Thanks for raising the best, most stubbornly wonderful woman I’ve ever known. You’ve all always been my family and I knew that it would end that way the day I met you all. Lub lub.

15. Hannah says:

Wow, what a wonderful story! This truly makes me believe true love does exist. I actually relate to you and the thoughts you initially had when you didn’t want to “give in” yet. I love this story, I love your story and I am ROOTING for the both of you. Eleven years it’s been and you look just as in love as a fresh couple.

16. Bianca says:

Insert endless heart eye emojis!

17. Chloe Acerol says:

I loved what you shared. And started to tear up at your grandfathers quote. What a special thing to have grow; a solid friendship. That seems to be a great base for a long term loving relationship. You both look so beautiful and happy in these photos ❤️???

18. Jessica says:

I honestly can’t think of a better way to end the story, like, anything else wouldn’t have felt so real! Haha!

Thank you for sharing it with us, I wish you two the very best 🙂

• Linda J. says:

Bobby told me moving to New York was the best thing he ever did. Now I know why. Being best friends is very important in a romantic relationship. ♥️

19. Faith says:

I absolutely loved reading this! And your mom was spot on, haha 🙂

20. Mumi Severio says:

21. KiKi says:

This story has warmed my cold, dead heart. Thank you so much for sharing and reigniting my romantic side, y’all are hands down my favorite couple on the internet.

22. Brandi Vos says:

Awwwwwww….I love looking at your blog for all the pictures and you are just gorgeous, but this story is adorable. Thanks for sharing 🙂

23. Marion says:

I always wanted to know ?
    Thanks for sharing ?

24. Amber Deveny says:

I totally relate to being afraid of never being single again. And not in a “I want to date the world” way but in a carefree me and the world kind of way. It was a big source of struggle between me and my husband when we seriously began dating. I was a total nightmare (hence why my nickname is lovingly “rude wife”) but he stuck it out for/with me. Thanks for the story!

25. Barbara Jane says:

Ok this is SO CUTE! Love this photo series, love how both of you support each other, really love both you and Bobby! SWEETHEARTS! Thank you for sharing this with us 🙂