disney enchanted fine jewelry
Lifestyle, Style

On relationships and timelines.

Watch our video in partnership with JCPenney, featuring Enchanted Disney Fine Jewelry

disney enchanted fine jewelry
disney enchanted fine jewelry

I sometimes forget that many of you saw my relationship with Bobby evolve from completely platonic to romantic, from my best friend to my boyfriend. Isn’t that a little wild? We don’t know the exact date we became a couple, but we were close friends for a few years and dating more than 11 years. It’s funny how some people react when you’ve been with someone a long time and haven’t yet gotten married. We get a mix of “When is he going to propose?!” and people who just assume we don’t want to get married. I’ve also had people say things like, “Don’t worry. One day it will happen for you.” They’re all well meaning, but seemingly under the assumption that relationships have to follow a certain timeline.

disney enchanted fine jewelry
disney enchanted fine jewelry

Let’s just say I’ve never been in a hurry to make it more than what it is, because if something is forever, what’s the rush? That doesn’t mean I don’t want to get married — I do. I want a wedding! He does, too. We talk about it openly, because it’s a mutual decision — and to answer the question that is asked many a time, I think we’re both getting to a point where we’ll take that next step sometime soon. But marriage aside, I love that Modern Bride and JCPenney knew we had a less conventional relationship than some of our peers, and still chose us to be a part of their story. You don’t have to be married or engaged to want to show and celebrate your love, and romance doesn’t have to be a whirlwind. It can be a slow progression, built on love, fun, chemistry, common ground, and logic alike.

disney enchanted fine jewelry 4
disney enchanted fine jewelry 4

disney enchanted fine jewelry
disney enchanted fine jewelry

After more than a decade of building our relationship, it feels pretty fitting to celebrate it with this Enchanted Disney Fine Jewelry ring from JCPenney. A Disney promise ring is so perfect for me, isn’t it? This diamond and white gold ring is inspired by Disney’s Cinderella, with a ruffled side reminiscent of her dress. We’re both huge Disney fans, and take at least one Walt Disney World trip a year with my family. The sight of Cinderella’s castle still makes my heart skip a beat! Have you ever seen it all lit up for the holidays? It’s pure magic. This ring reminds me of that. They have so many other rings, bracelets, earrings, and necklaces inspired by different Disney Princess characters — if you’re a Disney fan like me, you have to check them out!

disney enchanted fine jewelry
disney enchanted fine jewelry

Whether you’re looking for an engagement ring, an anniversary gift, a promise ring, or a special piece for anyoccasion, Modern Bride has something for everyone — and it’s exclusive to JCPenney. The Enchanted Disney Fine Jewelry as part of this collection is just the beginning! They have so much to choose from, for both men and women.

disney enchanted fine jewelry

p.s. Our outfits (head to toe!) are also from JCPenney; it’s really a one stop, affordable shopping destination!

This post is sponsored by JCPenney.

1. Ericka says:

My bf and I have been together 17 years. I am very familiar with people telling me about society’s timeline for relationships. We agree that marriage and weddings are beautiful, but they’re not necessarily for us. We are happy in our relationship and that’s all that matters. I can really relate to the Jennifer Aniston character’s line on He’s Just Not That Into You when she tells Ben Affleck’s character “You’re more of a husband to me not being married.” Never say never, but we work for each other. Also, it’s fun that our families are scared that we would go off and get married without telling anyone! haha!

17 years is really amazing — and you’re right, your happiness is all that matters!

2. Allie Liliokalani says:

My husband and I were together almost 10 years when we got married. Then married for 7 years before we decided to have a baby (we’re currently pregnant with our first). I’m sure you can imagine the comments we got regarding both… But I always told people, it’s not a race. We weren’t trying to get there as fast as possible we wanted to get there when it was the right time for us. And the right timing for us has been slow. That frustrated a lot of people but that’s their problem not ours. I’m glad you two are going at your own pace. That really shows shows the care you put into your relationship.

Thank you! I wish more people would be open minded and understand every relationship is different, but at the same time — you’re right. That’s their problem, not ours! <3

3. Shannon Laskey says:

Cute pix and I need to check out that jewelry! I remember so well everyone asking my husband and I when we are going to get married and then you have one kid and they ask you when you’re having another… Good for you for doing what’s right for you and not worrying about the rest! Also I think you guys might be THE cutest couple ever?

Thank you! I know all of my friends with kids get asked when they’re having the next kid. Sometimes it feels like people just need to fill the conversational void! haha

4. Annika says:

Oh so agree on this view of relationships! Me and my guy only got married two years ago after having been a couple for about sixteen years, and living together for twelve. We weren’t sure we would ever do it, it didn’t feel necessary but at the same time we didn’t mind the thought of it. We were in a way pushed in to getting married as my now husband was offered a job in a country where I could only join him as his wife, but we never regretted it and I actually enjoy calling him my husband after all these years! I still don’t think it really changed anything, but it’s nice. When it comes to a proposals I don’t get why It has to be a thing and why the guy has to do it, to be honest.

I agree! It’s a mutual decision<3

5. Christine says:

“romance doesn’t have to be a whirlwind. It can be a slow progression, built on love, fun, chemistry, common ground, and logic alike.”

I can’t explain how much I needed to read these words today, but I really did. Thank you for this, and for all your lovely posts and photos.

Thank you so much for the kinds words. <3

6. Anabelle says:

Thank you for writing this, Keiko! My boyfriend and I are in the same boat — we’ve been together for almost 17 years now and it’s a funny thing, being together for so long and unmarried, while everyone else has gotten married, had kids, bought a house, etc. The never-ending questions of “when are you getting married,” “do you even want to get married” and my personal favorite, “I can’t believe you *let* him take this long!” I don’t mind at all when people ask if we want to get married, but it is frustrating and annoying how people think there’s a timeline for everything — *their* timeline — and that there are phases or eras in your life when you *should* do something just because it’s the common next step, or as if your relationship isn’t “real” or “official” without a marriage certificate. Sometimes it’s as if people look down or treat us as less significant than others who have been married, despite the fact that we have been together for longer than most married couples we know have even known each other. Recently, my boyfriend’s brother got married to his girlfriend of a few years. His nieces and nephews had always called her, and me, by our first names, but once they got married, my boyfriend’s sister told her kids, “Now she’s Auntie because they’re married.” As if my role in their lives is less significant, even though I’ve known and loved them for their entire lives and was there the days the were born. Weird, right?!
    It’s so refreshing to hear a similar story. We, too, want to get married — we’re looking forward to that time and also talk about it openly and often. You make the perfect point when you say if something’s meant to last forever, there’s no rush, and that’s exactly how we feel. Thank you so much for sharing your story and perspective, and for reassuring me that I’m not alone =)

Thank you so much for this thoughtful comment! You hit the nail on the head — I don’t mind when people ask me if I want to get married, but I *do* mind when they pass judgment on our commitment because we aren’t married or don’t take us seriously. I know people who met and married their partner within a year and that is perfectly fine, but somehow being together for 11 and not marrying yet is a scandal. Who’s to say which one is better? We all make our own timelines. Also, I’m thankful my family *gets* it. My nieces and nephews all consider Bobby “Uncle Bobby” and he calls them his nieces and nephews. Marriage shouldn’t be the only defining moment!

7. Anabelle says:

Thank you for writing this, Keiko! My boyfriend and I are in the same boat — we’ve been together for almost 17 years now and it’s a funny thing, being together for so long and unmarried, while everyone else has gotten married, had kids, bought a house, etc. The never-ending questions of “when are you getting married,” “do you even want to get married” and my personal favorite, “I can’t believe you *let* him take this long!” It’s frustrating and annoying how people think there’s a timeline for everything, that there are phases or eras in your life when you *should* do something just because it’s the common next step, or as if your relationship isn’t “real” or “official” without a marriage certificate. Sometimes it’s as if people look down or treat us as less significant than others who have been married, despite the fact that we have been together for longer than most married couples we know have even known each other. Recently, my boyfriend’s brother got married to his girlfriend of a few years. His nieces and nephews had always called her, and me, by our first names, but once they got married, my boyfriend’s sister told her kids, “Now she’s Auntie because they’re married.” As if my role in their lives is less significant, even though I’ve known and loved them for their entire lives and was there the days the were born. Weird, right?!

8. Linda J. says:

I love your love for each other. ♥️

9. Chelsea says:

You both look so great! And thank you for this post! My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 10 years (10 years in April!) and we alllllllways get questions about when we’re getting married! It’s not that we don’t want to, but we’re enjoying this stage in our lives right now and don’t want to rush into anything. Thanks again for sharing!

xx Chelsea

Thank you, Chelsea! Congratulations on 10 years — that’s amazing! It doesn’t bother me when people ask about us getting married, but what does bother me is when people don’t take us seriously as a couple because we *aren’t* married. Or when they assume I’m waiting with baited breath for my boyfriend to pop the question, like it’s something I don’t have a say in!