modcloth red white stripe skirt
Outfits, Style

Finding the bright spots

modcloth red white stripe skirt modcloth red white stripe skirt modcloth red white stripe skirt head scarf bow

ModCloth red and white striped skirt (XXS-4X, also available in rainbow stripes)

sheer chenille heart blouse

Sam Edelman Lorene slingback pumps (also in other colors!)

Red cardigan (very heavy and warm!)

vintage Sweetheart pin

Minnie Mouse bag

vintage scarf (tutorial here)

heart sunglasses (I also love these)

Too Faced “Lady Balls” liquid lipstick

About this understated look (jk, jk), I wore this outfit on the day of the Women’s March, though I changed into jeans and a t-shirt for the actual event. It’s normal for me to wear a scarf, crazy sunglasses, and bright red lips, so I forget how much of a spectacle I can be. Even in an otherwise understated outfit, it is really easy to pick me out of the crowd. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, as it led to me being able to catch up with an old friend from Florida who spotted me in the sea of people. I hadn’t seen him in over a decade, so it was a nice surprise. Something good. Even when everything seems so bleak (and it has been a heartbreaking week, especially for my hometown), it’s important to find bright spots to keep you going. For me, there are plenty: a face time call from my nieces and nephews, an uninterrupted chat with my mom (honestly a rarity with her busy work schedule, so I cherish them), Miku’s new haircut that makes her look like even more of an angel beauty, a special day with dear friends, a Spring cruise with my grandparents. And honestly, sometimes it’s something so superficial and silly, like a new lipstick that makes me feel like my best self. It doesn’t take much. I hang onto every little bright spot I can find, and I hope you’re doing the same.

Shop This Post

1. Laura says:

you look like a dream! i’m especially loving that cute skirt. hope you had a great time at the march and that there’s lots of bright spots coming your way! xx

2. patricia says:

you look lovely! continuously adore the photography on your blog. that splendid spots truly pulled in my vision, particularly that striped skirt and the red sweater looks so extraordinary.

3. Linda Jenkins says:

Glad you are able to find some bright spots in your life. As a former high school teacher, I have been very emotional about the recent school shooting. I have found a bright spot in the young students who are standing up to our government officials and making their voices heard.

4. Michelle says:

I love your positive attitude. I too am struggling to get thru each day. My brother recently passed away from cancer & im struggling to take care of things & our family.

xoxo

5. Staci says:

Thank you for this post! I totally get it – a new lipstick can really alter my outlook on things. Focusing on the positive is not always easy, but it feels good when I do. Thank you!

6. Jessica Rubin says:

Great outfit! You pull it off spectacularly! ??

7. Natali says:

Oh yes, I’m the same… Anything little and positive is what lifts me up on daily basis. I try to always remember to be thankful for something each day, from the smallest things to the bigger ones. Sometimes, just like you’ve said, we need so little to feel great and if we “hang” onto that , we can only feel more and more amazing throughout the day/ week. 🙂
    You are looking absolutely astonishing in this retro-chic outfit!

8. Panty Buns says:

The love themed outfit you styled and wore on the day of the Women’s March is beautiful! I love every single outfit piece you wore and the over all look. I especially love those heart shaped sunnies and your perfectly applied red lipstick. I also love your positive attitude 😀